1. I will not reach the age of seventy any quicker by rushing about for no reason.
2. Looking back, I can see now that the most important spiritual things I did were the activities I did not think at the time were worth telling others about.
3. Regarding preaching, I have discovered that the advice of Griffith Thomas is true: ‘Think yourself empty, read yourself full, write yourself clear, pray yourself keen, then into the pulpit and let yourself go.'
4. It was said of Henry Smith, a Puritan preacher, that he had the ability to reprove without insulting, to admonish without forcing, and to correct without debasing. I have discovered this description should be the goal of all preachers.
Thursday, 23 July 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Book Reviews
- Charles E. Hill, Who Chose the Gospels?,
- Iain H Murray – Archibald G. Brown
- Derek Tidball (2011), Preacher, Keep Yourself from Idols, IVP, 200pp.
- Paul David Tripp (2012), Dangerous Calling (The Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry), IVP
- Entrusted with the Gospel (2010), edited by D. A. Carson, IVP, 150 pages
- The Hidden Life of Prayer – David McIntyre
- Singing the Songs of Jesus (Revisiting the Psalms), Michael Lefebvre, Christian Focus, 2010.
- Alan E. Johnson - 1 Corinthians
- The Renewed Pastor (2012), edited by Melvin Tinker, Mentor, 264pp.
- John Stott's Right Hand, The Untold Story of Franc...
- Michael J. Kruger - The Question of Canon, Apollos...
- Robert Letham, Gamechangers, Christian Focus, 200 ...
- John Macleod, Scottish Theology in Relation to Chu...
No comments:
Post a Comment