Sunday, 9 March 2014

Listening with delight to God's Word

I was thinking this morning of a hymn that I heard many years ago in which the author was expressing his joy to God. The words he used are very basic but they speak volumes. They are, ‘I am so glad that our Father in heaven tells of his love in the Book he has given.’ I realise that my memory might not be accurate with regard to every detail in that line. For example, I cannot recall if the personal pronoun should be ‘our’ or ‘my’. But since both would be true, my memory slip does not matter.

Why are we going to be in church today? One reason is to listen to God’s Word. As we do so, we can listen to him as a Ruler giving instructions or as a Guide giving directions. Maybe we want something personal from the reading and will feel disappointed if we don’t notice anything unusual.


The words of that hymn remind us of a very important aspect of our church gathering. We meet as a family to hear again what our Father thinks of us, has done for us and has planned for us. No doubt, some of those details will be emphasised in the praise items and the sermon. But as we listen to the Bible being read, may we be ‘so glad that our Father in heaven tells of his love in the Book he has given’.

No comments: