Thursday, 10 September 2009

Induction to Greyfriars

Last Friday (4th September), I became the pastor of Greyfriars Stratherrick Free Church of Scotland (Greyfriars is in Inverness and Stratherrick is to the south of Inverness). I have added a couple of pictures from the reception that followed the service.

A good sermon was preached by Farquhar Renwick and appropriate advice was given to the congregation and to me by Sandy Sutherland. The most serious part of the service was when I took the vows connected to ministerial service. I listened carefully to each as it was read out and answered each with a whole-hearted agreement. None were superfluous: indeed an unconverted relative, who does not attend a church and has never had a church connection, commented that the impression he received from the vows, as he listened to them, was that we regarded our loyalty to Christ as very important. They were the part of the service that spoke most to him.

The reception was held afterwards in an hotel. Speeches were made by Angus M. Macleod (an elder in Scalpay), Rev. John Maclean (Staffin) and William Mackenzie (Christian Focus).

On the Sunday morning, I was 'preached in' by Rev. Calum Iain Macleod (Barvas) and his sermon was based on John 3:16. I preached my first sermon as the congregation's pastor on Sunday evening from Revelation 19:9.

No comments: