Sunday, 29 March 2009

Power in Preaching

In a letter to a friend John Love laments the lack of spiritual power observable in his own ministry and in the preaching of others. In doing so he makes insightful comments concerning himself.

It is peculiarly hard for public teachers to be pure from the blood of all men, in this great shipwreck of immortal souls. There appears little of the genuine light and fire of the Holy Spirit of God in most of our preaching. The awakening and conversion of a single soul is now become a wonderful scarcity....

That preaching which will awaken and save souls must be a strong and felt anticipation of the great day of the Lord, when the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is. But how can I awaken others while I am asleep myself? How strange a thing is the spirit of slumber; how long must I cry against it!

I beg the help of your prayers for the awakening influences of the Holy Ghost.

No comments: