Thursday, 12 March 2009

Letters of John Love on the Ministry (1)

Dear Sir (written in 1779)
I hope it is from a good design that I trouble you with this letter; which it will be worth your while to read and mine to write, if thereby you are led to think more seriously than ever on these three things.
1. The vast difficulty of the work of the ministry. I know something of this now by experience. I feel how difficult and supernatural a thing it is to feel in my heart holy love to God and man, so prevailing as to keep self-seeking as to applause etc. in its proper distance from such holy work.
2. How glorious a thing it is to be enabled to preach the gospel from divine supernatural views of it, and from divine supernatural ends, that God may be glorified in the salvation of sinners! If it had not been a glorious thing, Christ would not have been engaged in it, nor would he have made such promises to those who attain to it!
3. How full and free are the treasures of grace in Christ!
I have been preaching as an assistant in R_____ for some time, and have continued for eight Sabbaths past, with a view to the public state of matters, on Habakkuk 3:16: 'When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when he cometh up unto the people, he will invade them with his troops.'
I beg your help at the throne of grace in the work in which I am engaged.

2 comments:

dowboy said...

Was John Love not the first minister in Anderston - maybe he preached on the site of the school!

Where are you sourcing these letters?

Colin

Malcolm Maclean said...

Colin
I just noticed that you asked a question regarding Love. My books are all in boxes, so I cannot answer if he was in Anderston. I have a volume of his letters, and I'll put more on the blog when I have time.